With the winter months upon us, learning about how to improve eye health naturally should be a top priority. Eye health is an important area that too often falls by the wayside. Most people tend to neglect their eye health and regret it at a later time. Don’t let that happen! Learn some of the natural remedies for improving your eye health as you read through!
How to Improve Eye Health: Natural Ways You Can Do to Take Care of Your Eyes
Weakened Eyesight Causes and Symptoms
Weakened eyesight is caused by myopia (nearsightedness) or by hyperopia (farsightedness). There are a few factors that may play a role in these eye conditions, such as:
- Excessive eye strain
- Poor nutrition
The symptoms of weakened eyesight (myopia or hyperopia) may include the following:
- Watery eyes
- Blurry vision
- Frequent headaches
If you are experiencing these symptoms, be sure to receive a proper diagnosis from your eye doctor as these symptoms may be the result of glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration, or optic neuropathy.
5 Natural Remedies for Healthy Eyes
In today’s article, I will cover 5 natural remedies to help improve your eye health! Let’s begin!
1. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo biloba improves eye blood flow and circulation, which works to improve vision. In addition, it helps protect your eyes from eye conditions such as macular degeneration and glaucoma.
- Take 2-3, 120 mg ginkgo biloba capsules a day.
Note: Children should never consume ginkgo biloba. Also, patients with diabetes should consult with their doctor before taking ginkgo biloba.
2. Eye Exercises
We exercise to keep ourselves physically fit and healthy. And, eye exercises can actually be beneficial to your overall eye health. Here are two exercises you can try to help benefit your eyesight.
Eye Exercise #1:
- Hold a pencil at arm’s length and allow your eyes to focus on the pencil.
- Slowly bring the pencil back towards your nose.
- Next, move the pencil away from your face until you can no longer focus on the pencil.
Repeat this exercise up to 10 times a day.
Eye Exercise #2:
- Roll your eyes in a clockwise direction for 3-5 seconds.
- Next, roll your eyes in a counterclockwise direction for 3-5 seconds.
Repeat this exercise 5 times, making sure to blink your eyes in between each round.
Fennel has been regarded as the herb of sight by the ancient Romans and rightfully so. This superfood is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients which is beneficial for overall eye health. Studies have also shown that fennel can also help slow down cataract progression.
- Combine 1 cup each of sugar candy (misri), almonds, and fennel.
- Add ingredients to a blender and blend ingredients into a fine powder.
- Before bed, eat 1 tablespoon of this powder.
- Follow up with a glass of warm milk.
Tip: For best results, do this once a day for 40 consecutive days.
Bilberry is yet another great herb for improving overall eye health. It is also associated with improving night vision.
- Consume about ½ cup to ¾ cup of bilberry fruits a day.
Note: Bilberry may interact with other herbs and certain medications. Please consult with your doctor before consuming it.
5. Healthy Diet
A healthy diet does wonders for our overall health, including our eyes! To help improve your eye health, try eating a diet that consists of vitamins A, B-complex, C, D, E, amino acids, beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, and lutein — all of which contribute to optimal eye health.
Recommended foods you can add to your daily diet for overall eye health:
- Sweet potato
- Green leafy vegetables such as kale
- Fatty fish
**The above natural remedies are not meant to replace any medical treatment or advice you receive from your eye doctor.**
How To Improve Eye Health Naturally: Additional Tips
In addition to the above natural remedies, try these tips to help keep your eyes as healthy as possible:
- Make sure to take frequent breaks from your television, computer, and cell phone. This will help give your eyes the rest they need.
- Avoid reading in dim light to reduce strain on your eye muscles.
- Make sure to always keep your eyeglass prescription current. An eye exam about once a year is recommended.
- When out in the sun, always wear sunglasses to protect your eyes. This also applies to snow. Wearing protective eye gear will protect your eyes from snow blindness.
- Wear protective eye gear around chemicals.
- Never wear old eye makeup.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night as this will help prevent blurred vision.
- Always stay hydrated. Recommended water intake is 6 to 8, 8-ounce glasses a day.
Try this vegetable smoothie recipe from TWU Dietetics to help improve your eye health:
When it comes to our overall health we need to remember that our eyes are just as important as any other parts of our bodies. There are natural ways to help keep our eyes in their best possible condition.
Which natural way is your go-to method for improving your eye health? We would love to hear from you! Share with us in the comment section below.